I love Spain. The moment I arrive, I find myself relaxing into the laid back, low-key attitude that makes it so different from the UK.
I also return again and again for creative inspiration — Spanish cities have appeared in a number of my ARKANE thrillers — and of course, the food is some of the best in the world, but they don’t shout about it so you need to do your research to avoid the more touristy places. I almost moved here in the late 1990s but headed for Australia instead. It would have been a different life indeed …
For this trip in early February 2020, I went with my husband (and photographer/business partner). We had four days in San Sebastian and Bilbao — a taste of the Basque country. In this article, I’ll share some of the cultural and culinary highlights in case you’d like to visit.
- What is Basque?
- Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao
- Maman by Louise Bourgeois, Anselm Kiefer, and more of the art within
- Promenade by the bay in San Sebastian and climb Mount Urgull
- Enjoy pintxos and txakoli … plus Michelin star dining
- Where to stay and how to get there
- Recommended books about Basque culture or set in the region