Hawaii is more than just a paradise of beaches and blue sea. In this interview, mystery and memoir author, Toby Neal, brings the wild and beautiful islands to life.
Toby Neal is an award-winning ‘USA Today’ bestselling author of mysteries, thrillers, and romance with over 30 titles. She’s also a mental health therapist, and today we’re talking about Freckled: A Memoir of Growing up Wild in Hawaii.
In the interview, we discuss:
- Why Hawaii is more than just white sand beaches and cocktails with umbrellas
- A tip for the Hawaiian language
- Recommended places to visit that take you in nature and away from the main tourist hotspots
- The Hawaiian legend of Ohia and Lehua
- How the volcanic environment impacts Hawaii
- Embracing duality in finding home — the ocean of Hawaii and the redwoods of California
- Writing about the darker side of the islands
- Book recommendations
You can find Toby and her books at www.TobyNeal.net and on Instagram @tobyneal