“It’s not the mountain we conquer, it’s ourselves.” Edmund Hillary
As I write this, I’ve started four ultra-marathons and finished three of them. I did the Race to the Stones 100km in a weekend (2016); Cotswold Way 50km (2017); Isle of Wight 50km (2018 — I dropped out at 22km); Chiltern Challenge 50km (2020). I’ve learned something new each time and my most recent event went absolutely perfectly. In this episode, I’ll share some of my thoughts, tips, and lessons learned.
- Why would you want to do an ultra-marathon anyway?
- Preparation and practical tips. Here’s my day hike kit list.
- Event day
- Walk/run/live your own race
- Enjoy the journey, not just the destination
- Sometimes, it’s OK to give up. The importance of self-care.
- What’s your next challenge?
- Books about walking