How is pilgrimage different from just a long walk? Why do we feel a calling to pilgrimage even when not religious? How does pilgrimage connect us to our physicality, and simplify life so we find some perspective? Kevin Donahue talks about some of his ‘sacred steps’ on various pilgrimage routes across Europe.
Kevin Donahue began walking pilgrimage routes in 2019 and hosts the ‘Sacred Steps Podcast,’ where he discusses pilgrimage with fellow pilgrims. He’s currently writing a book, Sacred Steps: A Pilgrim’s Journal, out in 2023.
- How is pilgrimage different from a long walk?
- Why pilgrimage resonates even to those who are not religious
- Highlights of Kevin’s pilgrimage, including the crossing to Holy Island, Lindisfarne
- The challenges of pilgrimage — and the gifts that only emerge later
- Tips for the Camino Portuguese route — wear shoes with thicker soles for the cobblestones!
- Recommended books on pilgrimage